Cibola Junior selected for AZ Governor’s Youth Commission
Cibola Junior, Gabrielle Evans, has been selected to represent Yuma County on the Governor's Youth Commission. The Governor's Youth Commission develops and administers campaigns on issues that impact young people statewide.
“I’m so honored to have been selected as one of two representatives from Yuma County to join this year’s Arizona Governors Youth Commission,” says Gabrielle. “Over the next year I’ll get to work with students across Arizona to tackle some of the prominent problems facing our youth of today. I joined in hopes of being able to spread some light on the distinct decline in volunteerism from our youth over the past 50 years, and collaborate with others on ways we can encourage our youth to reach out and support their community.”
From the website: Established in 1989, the Governor’s Youth Commission (GYC) is a diverse body of Arizona high school students from across the state. The purpose of the GYC is to engage youth through innovative programs, events, and campaigns that effectively serve their communities in the areas of:
- Distracted Driving Prevention: Members work to minimize accidents caused by distracted driving in Arizona and demonstrate creative ways to increase safety on Arizona’s roadways.
- Education: Members raise awareness on the importance of reading, writing, and literacy.
- Human Trafficking Prevention: The goal of this committee is to raise awareness about the dangers of human trafficking and support education and prevention efforts across the state.
- Substance Abuse Prevention: Members encourage their peers to lead a healthy lifestyle and be mindful of their choices by reminding them that there are better things to do than abuse drugs and alcohol.
- Teen Dating Violence Prevention: The committee works to prevent dating violence and promote healthy relationships among Arizona Youth.
“She is already a leader and representative for Yuma County's Youth,” says Brad Broschat, Cibola school counselor. “She is an awesome choice to represent young people from Yuma at the state level.”
Gabrielle was also selected as Miss Yuma County’s Outstanding Teen 2020, Community Service Chair for Cibola Student Council, Youth Captain for the Yuma Relay for Life, and a member of Cibola’s Future Farmers of America, FFA.