NCAA & NAIA Academic Requirements
To help support our student-athletes' future ambition to compete at the collegiate level, YUHSD created the below page as a starting point for families. Of course, we strongly encourage all student-athletes who think they may compete at the next level to remain in regular communication with their school counselor.
Note: Division I and Division II athletes must register with the NCAA and meet all the academic requirements in order to be eligible to participate as a college athlete.
NCAA Division I or II Process
Student-athletes who are interested in playing college sports at NCAA Division I or II schools should carefully follow the steps below. Start immediately, and plan to complete these steps before the end of your junior year.
1. Make an appointment with your counselor to review your credits, calculate your core GPA and check your SAT or ACT scores. With your counselor, determine which NCAA requirements you still need to fulfill, review approved courses and complete the NCAA worksheet.
2. Take the PSAT in October of your junior year, both for practice and to predict your SAT score. Take the SAT and/or ACT in the spring of your junior year. Register online (www.collegeboard.org or www.act.org) at least six weeks before the test dates. Request to send scores directly to the NCAA Eligibility Center. Use code 9999.
3. Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center. Carefully follow the instructions for registration and payment (click here for registration checklist). Record your PIN number in a safe place--you will need it to access your files. Print out copies of everything in case you need them later.
4. Work with your counselor to have your transcript sent to the NCAA or send your transcript electronically with Parchment. The NCAA wants your sixth semester grades to be included, so do this near the end of your junior year.
5. If you take dual credit courses taught on a college campus, have the college send official transcripts to the NCAA Eligibility Center at the same time as you have them sent to your YUHSD campus.
6. Shortly before graduation, order a final transcript to be sent to the NCAA.