AIA COVID-19 Return to Play Protocol
Below is the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA) guidelines for an athlete to return to play following self-quarantine.
- Student-athlete must not be symptomatic if attending an athletic activity. If a student-athlete confirms two (2) or more "yes" responses in their daily COVID-19 pre-practice self-symptom report or a student-athlete reports they are experiencing any symptoms related to fever, shortness of breath at rest, chills, cough, or chest pains, they must self-isolate for fourteen (14) days and follow the AIA Return to Play Protocol.
- If the student-athlete has been in "close contact" with a COVID-19 positive person for greater than 15 minutes (does not have to be consecutive) within six (6) feet (with or without a mask), the student-athlete must self-isolate for fourteen (14) days to monitor symptoms. If symptoms develop in the fourteen (14) days the athlete is presumed positive and shall follow AIA Return to Play Protocol.
- If the exposed student-athlete remains without COVID-19 symptoms, it is recommended they take a COVID-19 PCR test. If asymptomatic during the fourteen (14) day self-isolation, the student-athlete is encouraged to engage in Stage 1 and 2 of the AIA Return to Play Progression at home, 15-30 minutes of light exercise, and as long as the student-athlete remains self-isolated.
- If a student-athlete with exposure to a COVID-19 positive person receives documentation of a negative COVID-19 PCR test and the individual remains without COVID-19 symptoms for the fourteen (14) day self-isolation period, the individual is allowed to return on day 15 without needing to complete the AIA COVID-19 Return to Play Protocol.
- If NO documentation of a negative COVID-19 PCR test is presented, the student-athlete must complete the AIA COVID-19 Return to Play Protocol. Completion of the AIA COVID-19 Return to Play Form by a physician and the Return to Play Progression with the school's Athletic Trainer.